Saturday 19 May 2012

Pinza - nice but not good

I've never been in to Pinza before, it's a spot next to the Nightingale Cafe. It's part grocery/deli/take away/coffee shop.

I was in for the coffee, and had faint hopes of it being surprisingly good.

I was out with baby Spiller in the pram and was picking up take away coffees for me and Mrs Spiller, the order was two small take away cappuccinos.

The man set about making the coffees while I took in the surroundings. Nothing too special, the food in the counters didn't look particularly appealing. The groceries were not well stocked. The place was clean though, I suppose that was encouraging.

The man making the coffees was nice enough and once he'd made the coffees he noticed it was going to be tough for me to carry two coffees and push the pram, while he didn't have the cardboard carry trays he rigged up a good plastic bag carry system to get my coffees home more or less in tact.

In hindsight it might have been best if I had tripped over trying to negotiate a curb and spilt the coffees on the pavement.

My first reaction was that it tasted like dirty water with overtones of used cigarettes. It didn't really improve. It was hot so I suppose that was a good thing, although I am wondering if the rather foul taste was due to the coffee and milk getting burnt. Whatever happened I will not be buying coffee from here again, better off having instant.

It's a shame because as I said the man was nice, the place was clean and I think a deli in that spot could do really well.

Coffee being prepared. I'm never tempted by cold samosas.

I like the idea of there being nice cheese and deli meats in these cabinets, it wasn't the case unfortunately.

Just be thankful you can't taste it. I finished mine, Mrs Spiller didn't.


Scores

Coffee
Hot: 10/13
Aroma: 1/13
Flavour: 1/13
Texture: 6/13
Presentation: 6/13

General
Service: 11/13
Food: /13 (n/a - there were a selection of samosas and promise of sandwiches but I didn't try anything)
Atmosphere: 8/13 (I actually quite liked it, although it's not atmosphere in the same way as a coffee shop would have)

Overall 3/13.

No comments:

Post a Comment