Saturday 21 April 2012

Du Cane Court Coffee Shop - Step Back in Time

This may well be one of the least well known coffee shops I review, I hope that this post encourages at least one or two people to pop in to Du Cane Court for a coffee. Not really because the coffee shop is particularly special but becuase it's in Du Cane Court, which in my view is very special and a big part of Balham's landscape and history.

I'll start with the coffee shop and then maybe make a few comments about Du Cane Court.

The coffee shop has been open for probably no more than a year. Before that there was a shop which had slightly less than the bare essentials. They have done a refit of the space, including a small kitchen and seating area. It looks quite nice I think. It serves as a coffee shop, deli and convenience store.

Cafe area
Menu, deli meats in the fridge unit straight ahead, kitchen behind that
The convenience store bit, has some nice stuff in there
Our order was a cappuccino, double macchiato and pain au raisin.

The coffees weren't bad, good strong coffee flavour, hot - not much more than that but very acceptable.


The pain au raisin was very good, seemed fresh and tasted nice, it was served slightly warm too.

Let's be honest though, this place is not gourmet, nor is it trying to be, and their prices reflect this.

In addition to coffees and pastries there are some light meals and paninis on offer as well. I'm not quite what happens when you order a light meal or panini, I guess one of the staff there would get up and whip something up, it didn't like there was much call for that though. Given the selection of deli meats and fresh vege they have for sale I suspect their food might be quite nice made with fresh ingredients so probably worth a try sometime.

There special of the day was pasta al forno, side salad and sorbet for £5.90, might have to try out their special one day
Service here is fine, but again they're not after any awards, just doing the basics to an acceptable level.

While we were there a few residents came in to pick up coffees or milk, bread or papers. There is a big tv in one corner (a la any European shop/bar). It does have quite an authentic European feel actually, not the type of European shop/cafe with lots of atmosphere but the kind that only locals go in to.

I'll do some scores and then maybe a few notes on Du Cane Court.

Scores
Coffee
Hot: 10/13
Aroma: 7/13
Flavour: 7/13
Texture: 7/13
Presentation: 6/13

General
Service: 7/13
Food: 7/13
Atmosphere: 7/13 (it's an odd atmosphere, something a bit different)

Overall 7/13.
I would strongly recommend that if you're reading this and have even a passing interest in Balham or Du Cane Court specifically that you should pop in here for a drink and something to eat. It's not going to be a culinary highlight of your life but this is probably as close as we've got to a secret cafe in Balham. I suspect those that don't live in Du Cane Court have no idea there is a cafe in there.

So a bit more about Du Cane Court (or the DCC as I like to call it). I am at present a DCC resident but probably moving in the near future, I've been here for over 2 years now and was really pleased when Mrs Spiller found this flat in DCC because I've always been interested in this building ever since I've lived in Balham.

Some facts/myths/rumours about DCC
  • It was built in the 1930's, at the time it was the largest private block of flats in Europe
  • Is an example of art deco architecture. The reception area has recently been fitted out in keeping with the art deco theme
  • The building has 'porters' at the front desk 24/7, the best bit about that is that they hold parcels for you, we've not had to go to the post office to collect anything the whole time we've been here
  • The building used to have a restaurant on the 7th floor and I think it included a social space as well. Now converted into apartments
  • There were rumours that during the war the luftwaffe used Du Cane Court's distinctive shape as observed from the air for navigation
  • There were also rumours that Hitler had earmarked the DCC as his headquarters once he'd counquered London
  • There is a night time dog patrol
  • It has featured in at least two Poirot episodes (a couple of screenshots below)

Poirot, Captain Hastings and Japp on the case in Du Cane Court
 
And off they go


I'm sure there are loads more stories as well. There is one publication I'm aware of dedicated to DCC, I've tried reading it, it's pretty hard going to be honest but if you have an interest in the DCC and want to know some of its history and stories about the goings on in the building hunt out A history of Du Cane Court : land, architecture, people and politics by Gregory Vincent.

4 comments:

  1. My opinion George and Camden coffee house win best coffee in Balham hands down I don't know why you bothered making a twitter account on coffee in Balham when you don't have a clue about coffee another thing you keep doing is mentioning delight everytime it's boring now try something new mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for this interesting review - I didn’t know there was a coffee shop in Du Cane Court!
    Whilst I am a coffee snob myself, I do realise, unlike maria7, that coffee shops can serve many different purposes to people. Therefore things such as food, accessibility, ambiance and type of seating may matter more and hence the reason for you informative blog. Thank you and I look forward to the next venture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks FM and Maria7 for your comments.

    For me the coffee is about the whole coffee shop experience so I can enjoy a coffee shop even if I don't enjoy the coffee.

    I cannot believe I still haven't made it to Camden Coffee, they're not usually open on Sundays which limits my chances but really must get there as I have heard their coffee is good.

    I'm sorry I go on about DeeLight, I do love that place though.

    I'm still having fun doing this (which is what it's all about!) so I will plough on - next review will be Starbucks! Shock horror, I did say I was going to do all the coffee shops in Balham though.

    Thanks again for the comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I just point out that this isn't a free for all coffee shop for the public ? It's for residents only. Please note the Private Property signs on the entrances into Du Cane Court. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete