Saturday 26 January 2013

The Kitchen Table - worth finding

The Kitchen Table on Franciscan Road in Tooting is a great place. It's off the beaten track so I guess it really just serves the locals which makes it all the better. It's quite small, and maybe not set up to make maximum use of the space.



I've been a few times now and have always been impressed by the guy who runs the place, he's really trying hard to make the place work.

Every time I've been I've ordered a flat white and every time he has taken much care in crafting the coffee. The coffee is generally good, he gets an intense espresso which isn't burnt and comes through over the  milk.

I've eaten here a couple of times, once having cake which was really good, we think he might be getting his cakes from Dee Light, they're that good. Another time I had a pizza slice which was very nice too and served with a little side salad, which baby Spiller enjoyed.



Flat white was good. I think Mrs Spiller was having a hot choc, which wasn't that flash.

I've not had any of their more substantial meals, they do the standard English breakfast type fayre and I think the last time I was in it looked like they were going to be expanding their menu and possibly a few evenings.

What I love most about this place is that it is set in a small row of shops on Franciscan Road and has a feel of a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, something we're lucky to have. The problem in this however is that they will need a lot of support from the locals to survive. I hope they can maintain their standards and continue to attract the crowds to establish themselves as a vital community venue.

If you do live in the Balham, Tooting, Streatham area it's definitely worth giving this place a go, maybe combined with a walk around nearby Tooting Common.

There's not a huge amount on the web about this place, check out citybumpkin's blog for another view.

Scores:

Coffee
Hot: 10/13
Aroma: 10/13
Flavour: 10/13
Texture: 8/13
Presentation: 8/13

General
Service: 10/13
Food: 8/13
Atmosphere: 8/13


Overall 9/13



1 comment:

  1. He makes a fantastic kofte with salad. Doesn't make too many though so you have to be quick off the mark to get one for lunch. One of the nicest lunches I've ever had. Huge salad too. The jerk chicken salad was also good.

    ReplyDelete