Wednesday 8 August 2012

Camden Coffee House - a bit brash (in a good way)

It's taken me way too long to visit Camden Coffee House and has also taken me a while to get the review written up since I visited.

I had visited Camden Coffee House once before, shortly after it had opened, which was a while ago now. I wasn't impressed then for a couple of reasons, first it's a real pain to get a pram in there, second the coffee was weak - basically milk.

But that was a while ago, I hadn't gone back more often more because it's difficult to get a pram in than the quality of the coffee, anyway that's history.

I popped in when I was home early from a meeting in the city, I was in need of a bit of a relax and a good coffee after an intense day of meetings in a room with no windows and foul coffee.

I figured as I didn't have Baby Spiller with me I'd take the opportunity to give Camden Coffee House a go.

I made the right choice.

My order was simple a flat white to have in.

The staff there are cool (in a 'The Fonze' kind of a way) in a way that you don't really get elsewhere in the Balham cafe scene.

Photo stolen from another website, click photo for source
The attention to crafting a good coffee was very encouraging and the result was very good.

There isn't much to say about the coffee, it was a strong all round flat white.

I like the vibe of the Camden Coffee House. It is different to anything else in Balham. I would say Camden Coffee House is kind of like the brash younger sibling, or even child of some of the other quality coffee shops in Balham which I would say go for a more grown up feel. This is most apparent in that Camden Coffee House is not particularly child friendly  by virtue of the fact that the entry is very challenging even for the smallest prams.

Lets face it, does Balham need another coffee shop filled with prams? I am usually one of those with a pram and there are lots of options for me, but if you're looking for a great coffee in Balham in a baby free environment then Camden Coffee House is surely your spot. It is a bit unfortunate I suppose that there are no windows at the back, I do like a spot where I can people watch. The stools near the window at the front are ok, but not massively comfortable.

Stolen from another webiste, click for source


In short, Camden Coffee House is doing an excellent job of bringing great coffee to Balham in an atmosphere that is unique to the area.

Scores

Coffee
Hot: 10/13
Aroma: 12/13
Flavour: 11/13
Texture: 11/13
Presentation: 11/13

General
Service: 11/13
Food: n/a/13

Atmosphere: 10/13


Overall 11/13.

No comments:

Post a Comment