Monday 12 March 2012

Milk - Take 1

Right so I never got to Le Petit Bistro in time to do a review but made sure I got to its replacement early. The reason I've titled this blog Milk - Take 1 is that I will give them another chance. Fact is this first attempt was poor. The coffee (flat white and espresso) was bad and the cake wasn't really fit to be sold - it tasted of baking soda.

The cake was hopefully just a bad batch which maybe hadn't been taste tested but it was quite foul.

The coffee had no kick, even Mrs Spiller who doesn't drink much coffee didn't get much flavour in the coffee.

The service was fine, the location is great, I really hope they do well, but I hope they do well and sort out their coffee and cake situation.

One of the reasons we want to go back (other than because we feel they deserve a second chance as they had only been open a few days) is that their cooked breakfasts looked great. We don't normally go in for the greasy breakfast, purely because it's greasy. But the Milk breakfast looked appealing, the food looked fresh and cooked well, not deep fried, there didn't look to be too much grease but plenty of flavour.

So that's all I'll say at this stage, I will give them scores but when we go back I reserve my right to change those scores on the basis that maybe they were having some teething problems.

For the record the order was:
Single espresso
Flat white
Grapefruit, pistachio and rosewater cake

Scores:
Coffee
Hot: 9/13
Aroma: 6/13
Flavour: 4/13
Texture: 9/13
Presentation: 8/13

General
Service: 8/13
Food: 2/13
Atmosphere: 10/13

Overall 6/13.

As an indication of how disappointed we were we ended up going to Dee Light bakery for a flat white and lamington to make us feel better.

I really hope this place does well, I would encourage people to try it out, despite our bad experience, because it's a top location, I think they've got a good vibe and are trying to do something good. Plus I think Hildreth St. needs places like this if it is to become a hub for food and drink in Balham (which in my view is what is should be).

I see swishjunction are reviewing Milk this week so please keep an eye out for their review.

No comments:

Post a Comment